bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: where to start?  (Read 5436 times)

gregorydc

where to start?
« on: August 09, 2012, 07:43:20 PM »

Just a quick question here. Whee should a person start a scripture study?  There is so much information to learn, I mean it is kind of overwhelming to try to pick one spot in a bible and begin to study that one thing.  There are many scriptures I have looked at looking for answers to my problems and for friends also. But to just start a study where to begin?
still a babe in Christ,
Greg

gmik

Re: where to start?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 08:49:50 PM »

I love Paul...maybe start in his letters...he was the missionary to the gentiles(us) so I figure he's got important info...imho

gregorydc

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 11:04:07 PM »

I don't think I asked my question right maybe its how do you start, not where do you start. Is it just over a question that keeps nagging at you?, or maybe it is like a prayer God prompts you to study a certain thing because you need to learn something new or will need to know something to help someone else? There are many things I still don't understand!  I feel I was to read genesis many times because I love the story of Joseph, but was I to have started a study of that?  You see I don't understand the principles of how or where I guess. 
Greg

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 01:36:22 AM »

Greg, maybe this is of help.  Look where Ray 'starts'.  Pretty much every article starts with exposing a false doctrine.  We have come from every corner of Babylon, and if we were still there, we'd be arguing constantly between ourselves, just as they do in seminaries.  I don't know precisely what your religious background is...doesn't really matter.  But you haven't been dragged through that for no reason nor at random. 

What's helpful to me is to go back into scripture with 'truths' in mind.  I'll give you one example.  I had a hard time with the fallacy of free-will and the truth of the sovereignty of God.  It wasn't until I began to read/meditate/think on all the scripture and 'sermons' I had grown up on WITH the new 'assumption' that God is Sovereign that I began to understand it.  The largest part, I believe, for a new believer is to UNLEARN. 

I had never heard a sermon on the Gospel of the Kingdom that wasn't just fluffy.  I can't remember any sermon on the "Many called/few chosen" that came close to the truth.  I can't remember a sermon on the parables of Christ that included the information that He taught in parables so that most of his listeners not only would not understand, but would NOT believe.  On the contrary, it was assumed that He taught in parables to make His message MORE understandable to the masses.  I actually read the New Testament when I was a teenager, and I could see that the scripture did not say what I was 'learning'.  In fact, it often said JUST THE OPPOSITE.  You see where I'm going?

I haven't uncovered any truth so far that isn't in opposition to doctrines I either believed or knew about.  "Come out of her, my people" isn't just a helpful suggestion. 

That said, not everything is about 'doctrine' in the traditional sense of the word.  We really 'learn' by living and in obedience.  If we're not living, then I don't think we can even ask most of the right questions.

I'm definitely not done yet, but that 'approach' still is working.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 01:41:42 AM by Dave in Tenn »
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Stacey

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 03:13:51 AM »

I don't think I asked my question right maybe its how do you start, not where do you start. Is it just over a question that keeps nagging at you?, or maybe it is like a prayer God prompts you to study a certain thing because you need to learn something new or will need to know something to help someone else? There are many things I still don't understand!  I feel I was to read genesis many times because I love the story of Joseph, but was I to have started a study of that?  You see I don't understand the principles of how or where I guess. 
Greg

Hi Greg,

That's exactly how I ended up here. I needed answers.

I asked our Pastor at the time if the Church could help a organization I am familiar with by giving them some financial assistance. He was short and to the point that "we" are out of money and can't help anymore people than were already being helped. Granted, that Church did help many folks around our town but it was his attitude towards my question that pricked me in the heart and instantly I became really interested in studying every scripture dealing with tithing.

That study began by a word search on "tithe" but that wasn't on the web. When I did finally make to the internet, and typed in "tithing" it led me to Ray's site and straight to his " Tithing is unscriptural" paper and wow was my understanding never stretched as far as it has been by Ray's teaching.

If you feel led to study something, chances are pretty good that Ray has something to say about it in his papers and they are the best place to start I know of for any scripture topic, imo

Stacey

Gina

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 04:37:19 AM »

Just a quick question here. Whee should a person start a scripture study?  There is so much information to learn, I mean it is kind of overwhelming to try to pick one spot in a bible and begin to study that one thing.  There are many scriptures I have looked at looking for answers to my problems and for friends also. But to just start a study where to begin?
still a babe in Christ,
Greg

I believe you fall into the "good learner" category:

But there are some things that you can do and think about, to give yourself certain peace of mind and security. That we really should have.  I’m sure, not all of you have it. Some of you grasp at learning more than others. You think, ‘I’ve got to learn more about life and I’ve got to learn this stuff Ray is teaching.’  ‘If I could just learn all this stuff.’  ‘I’ve got to learn, learn, learn.’  ‘I’ll get it down and I’ll be there, I’ve just got to learn.’ 

Now some of you may not be meant to learn a lot of stuff.  What I mean, some people are just not good learners. It’s not necessary that you learn all this stuff, you know. I give you all this teaching and all these scripture and all these explanations and so on and you can’t remember it all. That alright. Did you get anything out of it?  ‘Well yea, I know what I’m saying.' That's good, your getting something out of it. You got a feeling, you’ve got a sense of appreciation, you got a sense of ‘I like God better now.’ You don’t think God thinks, you’re as bad as you think you are, sometimes.  Whatever goodness you get out of it, hang on to that. Don’t worry about all the technical details.
  ~L. Ray Smith

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php?topic=4472.0

I believe I fall somewhere in between good learner and someone who isn't meant to learn a lot of stuff.  I see how God feeds me even when I don't know what to ask for, and the same is true for you and other good learners.

mharrell08

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 06:42:22 AM »

Start at the beginning (Genesis) and make notes as you progress through. Every story in the Bible shows a contrast (good/wicked, called/chosen, etc.) which you'll see again and again. Make a note regarding which stories highlight different truths you've learned (Adam and Eve - no free will then a short notation why, for example). After a while, you'll have notes and scriptures on every subject.

Hope this helps,

Marques

Cypress

• I <3 jj81
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 10:21:19 AM »

For me, it usually starts off with a question I have about something. Then, I start searching the forum, reading Ray's papers, pulling out the bible, and writing my thoughts on a Word document. For instance, I wanted to know just what the kingdom on heaven is...so I pulled up all the instances where it's referenced in the bible, along with Ray's paper and other comments from forum members and started copying things into a Word doc until I felt satisfied I understood.

I've used esword to pull up every instance where the words eternity, forever, (olam and aion, aionios) etc. were present in the bible...and it was so interesting to compare them throughout and see how they couldn't possibly mean eternal.
Elaine

Akira329

• "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 03:41:43 PM »

Hey Greg!
I think a good place to start is with a question.
I didn't seriously start studying till I wanted to find and destroy false doctrines like tithing, hell, trinity...etc
Good resources can help you along the way too.

These are what I use:
-Esword (download a lot of bibles, concordance, dictionaries, maps, and commentaries) Search tool is awesome!!!
-Cross referencing bible
-Interlinear Scripture Analyzer (download on the web)
-Biblegateway
-Blue Letter Bible Society
I believe its how we all started here.
Once you learn the basic truths I definitely recommend starting from the beginning like Marques said.
You will see new things you never saw before in all the stories you thought you were familiar with!

Also,
What brought you here? How did you find this corner of the web?
What compelled you to drive down this street?

Hope this helps you!
Antaiwan
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
-Albert Einstein
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
- Jesus
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 23 queries.