bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Wisdom  (Read 5051 times)

lilitalienboi16

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
Need Wisdom
« on: June 27, 2016, 02:46:18 PM »

Hey all,

So I'm reaching out to you because an acquantance I only know online reachend out to me personally requesting financial support for his mother and sister who are currently homeless. You can read about their struggle here: https://www.gofundme.com/juliesfight16

My question is, being these people are merely acquantainces, infact I know not the mother, should I give money that I really don't have, to help someone in need who reached out to me?

I know there are scriptures which teach to be ready to given an answer to those who ask us the reason of our hope. This person personally reached out and asked me in prkvate for any support. Jesus also said if a man ask you to go a mile with him, then go two. If he sue you for your shirt then give him your cloak too. Now I'm not beeing sued or asked to walk a literall mile and I know that God has a plan and that I cannot change it or thwart it, but I also want to do right and do that which the mind of Christ compels all those with His spirit to do in this situation. So what say my brothers and sisters? If I don't try and give even if I have so little, would I not be no different then the carnal minded world or would this act of giving be nothing more than filthy rags? Aside from asking for guidance from you all here, I intend to deal with this entirely in secret, I desire no mention or credit from it.

Please help! Scripture support would be very much appreciated too. I need the mind of Christ on this.

Thank you all.

Love in Christ,
Alex

1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

lareli

Re: Need Wisdom
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 06:00:34 PM »

Treat others how you want to be treated. 

I’m just what you made God.. ~Kid Cudi

Dave in Tenn

• FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 06:54:48 PM »

Here's a little "wisdom", but it won't help you make a decision, most likely. 

Just from the way you've asked the question, I can see you have at least an inkling of how the Lord judges GOOD WORKS. 

Love your neighbor as yourself.  Don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing.  The Lord loveth a cheerful giver.    Give out of your abundance.  Etc. Etc. Etc.  He that doesn't take care of his family is worse than an infidel.  Etc. Etc. Etc. 

You could be a billionaire and not get anything "right".  Or you could be a cash-strapped college student and get it "right"...at least as right as you can now.  It ain't always gonna be this way. 
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 08:15:31 PM »

No way to tell if it's legitimate or not. We've had persons on this forum make a few posts then ask for money.

Your money, your call.

Extol

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 10:23:35 PM »

Hi brother,

I have often wished that I could give money to more people who are suffering. If I had a billion dollars, oh what a difference I could make! But that is not how God has set things up. His plan is for there to be a lot of suffering in this life, and I don't think it will ever end with any amount of human aid. There have been innumerable campaigns with the stated goal of ending hunger or poverty or drug use or whatever. They all fail, because Unless the LORD builds the house, They labor in vain who build it (Ps. 127:1). Jesus said "The poor you will always have with you" (Matt. 26:11), and the Law of Moses said the same thing (Deut. 15:11). It hurts to think of all the people who are suffering, but there's going to be suffering until the return of the King.

I say this not to discourage you from giving (the same passage which says the poor will always be here also encourages generous giving--Deut. 15:10-11)--but to remind you that we can't give to everyone who asks, so you don't have to agonize over this if you choose not to give. If you drove around Springfield, Missouri for a couple hours and gave to everyone who was "homeless" and asking for help, you'd have no money left. I used to enjoy giving money to homeless people (it made me feel "righteous"), but I rarely do it anymore, because of all the phonies out there. There are many genuine cases, of course, but asking for handouts is a racket, and people can make a living out of it. Ugly as the idea may be, Dennis is right to question the legitimacy of this campaign. The racketeers aren't just standing at the highway exits; they know how to use computers too.

You were personally asked in private to contribute, but keep in mind the guy probably asked all of his other acquaintances, privately and/or publicly, to contribute. People who know them better are contributing, so Julie's War Against Homelessness is not going to be won or lost based on whether you give or not.

Give if you want to, and the Lord bless you for it, but don't feel guilty if you don't.

John from Kentucky

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 12:26:28 AM »

The Spirit of God is the Spirit of a sound mind.

How can you give if you do not have?

Also, how is a woman with two disabled children not able to receive Section 8 housing and free food benefits from federal and state welfare agencies and private charities?

lostANDfound

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 01:04:24 AM »

I'm glad you brought this topic up, Alex.  I struggle with these matters too.  My husbands friends wife has a gofundme page looking for money since she has (terminal?) bone cancer and 2 small children at home.  But she is also completing her nursing program at the same time, instead of quitting and spending possibly her last few months with her precious children building lasting memories. From my perspective this is incomprehensible!   Is it up to us to judge these things?  Should we just give when asked since it's not our works anyway?  Who are we to decide if our money will benefit them or not, we can't even decide to be good!
I'm not suggesting an answer and I don't know what I would do in your place.  Just asking some questions that are rolling around in my head.
Learning, learning.  Ever so slowly.

Joel

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 02:08:16 AM »

I say do whatever you feel at peace about doing.
People that work and pay taxes are where most of the money comes from that other people get from the agencies that JFK mentioned.
I also know that even some of those free agencies will not help people with a criminal record, and those with records have a very hard time getting jobs.

Joel

arion

• Marquette, MI
    • Big Bay Michigan Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 09:30:39 AM »

....should I give money that I really don't have,

You know your situation.  As a struggling medical student with likely huge school bills you know your own personal situation better than anyone here does.  The question I would ask myself is does God expect me to give that which I don't have?  Or, should I go into further debt to give that which I don't have??  I don't see anywhere in the scriptures were God asks us to go into debt in order to give.  If God wants you to give to this need perhaps in the next few days you may stumble into some unexpected funds and then you'll be able to give.  There is a lot of need out there and many members here themselves are in need as well.  All we can do is to try to do the best we can with what we've got.  The truth is that we simply can't meet every need that is out there or that comes across our attention.  If you have it to give then fine, if you don't then I wouldn't beat myself up over it either.

Dennis Vogel

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 09:50:33 AM »

Also, how is a woman with two disabled children not able to receive Section 8 housing and free food benefits from federal and state welfare agencies and private charities?

Good point John.

lareli

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 01:45:04 PM »

If you walked by and saw this lady stuck in a ditch would you contemplate how she got there, or if she's worthy of your help? Would you consult the scriptures and mans opinions? Or would you reach out your hand and help her up out of the ditch.

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 02:18:49 PM »

Dear Brethren and Sisters,

I appreciate the tremendous wisdom you have each shared. I have taken the past two days to digest what has been shared and am praying about it. The most valid point being that I cannot give what I don't have. I guess I can't help but feel guilty and so sometimes I question myself on whether I'm taking my inability to give too far. Am I making too many excuses? But as JFK said too, the spirit of God is indeed the spirit of a sound mind. I have no desire to change what God purposed must come to passs because I know He is perfect and His love for us drives our existence forward to the glorious destiny, I only desire to obey Him and mirror His every move. Thank you for strengthening me and providing me understanding in a moment of weakness. Thank you everyone for putting up with my little folly. I will not give what I do not have and certainly many of the body are in need too as I was wisely reminded. Roman teaches us to favor one another over others so I should look to those of the household of God and their needs first before I ever look to the needs of the children of this world. Brother Jesse, I really loved that verse from proverbs, I'm sure I read it before but it really stood out this time to me. What a profound statement. It reminds me of the verse in psalm about the gaurds who keep watch in vain.

If there is more discussion to be had on this I certainly welcome it and encourage it.

God bless and keep you all.

Love,
Alex
1 Cor 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

lareli

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 03:16:22 PM »

Roman teaches us to favor one another over others so I should look to those of the household of God and their needs first before I ever look to the needs of the children of this world.

Would you mind posting the verses from Romans ?

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 04:40:25 PM »

Roman teaches us to favor one another over others so I should look to those of the household of God and their needs first before I ever look to the needs of the children of this world.

Hi Largeli, I'm on my phone atm so its a bit hard to do this. Here is the passage I took this understanding from.

Romans 12:10 but even galatians 6:10 echoes this idea.

Similar themes can be found in 1 Peter 1:22 and John 13:34-35 but perhaps don't show this prefeereing as well as the other two verses above even though as the sum is truth I would argue they do.

God bless,
Alex

Kat

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 11:28:26 AM »

Hi Largeli, I'm on my phone atm so its a bit hard to do this. Here is the passage I took this understanding from.

Romans 12:10 but even galatians 6:10 echoes this idea.

Similar themes can be found in 1 Peter 1:22 and John 13:34-35 but perhaps don't show this prefeereing as well as the other two verses above even though as the sum is truth I would argue they do.

God bless,
Alex

I think this passage goes along with those verses as well Alex.

Mat 25:36  I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.'
v. 37  "Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink?
v. 38  When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You?
v. 39  Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?'
v. 40  And the King will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.'

mercy, peace and love
Kat

Joel

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 02:21:19 PM »

I think these scriptures are compatible with this thread.

Isaiah 61:1-The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
2-To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;
3-To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.

Luke 4:18-The Spirit of the LORD is upon me,  because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised.
19-To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

Acts 3:6-Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ rise up and walk.

From the testimonies of many emails to Ray, and some reports on the forum, bible-truths.com has been and still is being helpful to a lot of people.

Joel
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 23 queries.