bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My Selfish Prayers  (Read 12650 times)

dogcombat

My Selfish Prayers
« on: January 25, 2007, 02:02:08 PM »

One day, while pondering circumstances beyond my control, (which is more often than I'd like to admit) I prayed that God would change my circumstances so that I'd be free of all my burdens.  The Spirit put a groan upon me that said "That was VERY Selfish of you.  Your circumstances caused you to pray, why aren't you thankful for them in that regard?"

With that being the case, I then prayed a different prayer that I would NEVER have prayed.  It went like this.  (along the lines of a reply that Ray Gave to a person who wondered why pray when God is in charge)

Father, I THANK you for the blessing of a new day.  I thank you for the circumstances that you have used to cause me to come to you in prayer.

I give up on

My AMBITIOUS goals in exchange for your unfolding PURPOSE in my life.

My desire to be RESCUED out of my troubles, in exchange for being TRANSFORMED by the counsel of your will as a result of them.

My ANXIETIES about my circumstances, in exchange for your Rest & UNDERSTANDING.

My DREAMS in exchange for your VISION of my life.

You probably get the gist of where I'm going with this.  Much of my prayers for the longest time have been "Father do this for me, Do that for me........"  Instead of this, I now ask Him to teach me to live contented with what He has provided me today.  And for that, this season will bear the fruit from the seeds He has planted.

Ches

brothertoall

Re: My Selfish Prayers
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 03:10:59 PM »

Ches that was wonderful. At times I too am so concerned about me,myself and I that I forget that it is He that I must wait upon and He that must do it in me and to pray for those who ask for prayer and to put my brothers and sisters first.

I will catch myself praying for someone and then try and slide my selfish praying in between.

Thank you Ches for that post.

bobby

hillsbororiver

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 07:24:02 PM »

Ches,

Amen!

A great post Brother, this is a reminder many of us can use.

Thank you,

Joe

gmik

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 10:51:04 PM »

Ches, if you have read any of my other posts you will know how I wrestle w/ this.  Thank you for putting it so simply for me. The contentment "thing" is a hard one for me. I grumble about my job, or house, or town, or hubby,  forgetting that ALL is from HIM.

It is thru the circumstances(that He caused)  that cause me to pray (fellowship) with my Lord. Not the other way around!!

gratefully yours,
gena :D

John

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 11:34:49 AM »

Thank you Ches.

Peace,
John

DWIGHT

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 03:26:21 PM »

Thanks Ches,

I think we all needed that.  It's just like Satan to take something so spiritual like prayer and turn it something so carnal as selfishness.

God be with you and us!

Dwight

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 03:56:48 PM »

Father, I THANK you for the blessing of a new day.  I thank you for the circumstances that you have used to cause me to come to you in prayer.

I give up on

My desire to be RESCUED out of my troubles, in exchange for being TRANSFORMED by the counsel of your will as a result of them.

THATS A KEEPER! :D

Peace to you

Arctururs :)

PKnowler

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 11:55:48 PM »

One day, while pondering circumstances beyond my control, (which is more often than I'd like to admit) I prayed that God would change my circumstances so that I'd be free of all my burdens.  The Spirit put a groan upon me that said "That was VERY Selfish of you.  Your circumstances caused you to pray, why aren't you thankful for them in that regard?"

With that being the case, I then prayed a different prayer that I would NEVER have prayed.  It went like this.  (along the lines of a reply that Ray Gave to a person who wondered why pray when God is in charge)

I give up on

You probably get the gist of where I'm going with this.  Much of my prayers for the longest time have been "Father do this for me, Do that for me........"  Instead of this, I now ask Him to teach me to live contented with what He has provided me today.  And for that, this season will bear the fruit from the seeds He has planted.

Ches

Hi Ches,

Thanks for sharing that with us. I like it!  I need to pray like this more often. It brings peace just to read it.
It's awesome to surrender to God's Will.

Blessings, Paula  :)

hebrewroots98

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 04:28:01 AM »

Ches, that is beautiful!  Thank you for the reminder and encouragment.  I have been there and done that all too many times.  We are all still trying to grow up in Him and it is a slow go for most of us I am sure!

dogcombat

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 05:00:12 PM »

To All,

I hope to continue to pray SELFLESSLY for each of you, as opposed to SELFISHLY (every man for himself).

Ches

PKnowler

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 05:06:10 PM »

Thanks for your prayers Ches! We do need to remember to pray for each other.  ;)

Blessings, Paula  :)

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 05:59:08 PM »

I hope to continue to pray SELFLESSLY for each of you, as opposed to SELFISHLY (every man for himself).

Thank you Ches....

Peace to you

Arcturus  :)

DWIGHT

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 11:43:11 PM »

Arcturus,

You really have a way with words.  I just love you sister. :)

Your brother in the Lord,

Dwight

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 04:01:54 PM »

Hey Dwight

I too recognise you as a brother.....thank you :)

However.... I do not think your sweet compliment should be recieved by me because, credit where credit is due.... ;D...the blue part of my post was quotting Ches! ;D

Appologies Ches. and Dwight....I should have been more specific.

Pl;ease forgive me.......may I still have the compliment... ;D

Only kidding..   ;D :D

I do know you love me and your love is precious in His sight and mine.

You are a precious brother Dwight

Peace to you

Arcturus :)

DWIGHT

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 11:56:28 PM »

Arcturus,

I didn't notice the blue until now, but the compliment stands and always will ;D  Your'e my precious eloquent sister and dearly beloved!!!!! :-* That's a holy kiss!! ;)

Your brother,

Dwight

jennie

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2007, 12:45:57 AM »

Hey, I just noticed in this thread a reply from Bobby. Are you back Bobby or does anyone know if he is?

hebrewroots98

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2007, 01:11:07 AM »

Hi Jenny,

I noticed that Bobby's post on this thread was posted on Jan. 25th..  I did not see anything else, did you?

take care!     

rrammfcitktturjsp

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2007, 01:14:57 AM »

Jennie,

No Bobby is not back.  That was a post that he posted before things went down.

Sincerely,

Anne C. McGuire

iris

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2007, 12:33:36 PM »

Hi Ches,

That was a great post.
Thanks for sharing it.

Iris

ara

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 03:29:38 AM »

ches im in the same situation, thanks for the insights. :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.