bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Significance of 153?  (Read 8420 times)

lilitalienboi16

Significance of 153?
« on: April 20, 2007, 12:41:20 AM »

John 21:11 Simon Peter climbed aboard and dragged the net ashore. It was full of large fish, 153, but even with so many the net was not torn.

What is the signifigance of 153?

I find it interesting that the disciples counted every last fish and ended up with 153. There has to be more then meets the eye here. Does anyone know what this is saying spiritualy? Has ray touched on this at all in any email or anyone have some wisdom on this verse?

God bless,

Alex

Redbird

Re: Significance of 153?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 09:39:56 AM »

Hi Alex,

In Greek, 153, means something, like;  That we may not shrink in shame from Him.  Others on the forum, may explain this better!

Peace to you, Lisa

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 02:48:47 PM »

Hi Alex,

In Greek, 153, means something, like;  That we may not shrink in shame from Him.  Others on the forum, may explain this better!

Peace to you, Lisa

yea i'm still confused lol, i know each number has  meaning, like 1, 2, 3 , 4 ,5 6, 7, etc.. but 153 is such an odd and peculiar number.. could you explaint ome how it means 'that we may not shrink in shame from Him?'

God bless,

Alex

seminole

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 08:35:12 PM »

I would imagine that since some of the disciples were fishermen by trade they counted everything they caught in order to get paid correctly. In the shrimping business they weigh the catch in pounds, crabbers weigh in pounds and also count the individual crab caught. I am  not saying this is the correct answer but it could be a part of the answer.
Seminole

gmik

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 08:53:24 PM »

Sounds like they thought 153 should have torn the net, so they were surprised that it didn't.  I always took that to mean when God does something it is more than abundant for you, not just the average.

I have never heard of 153 standing for something tho. Is this passage accurately translated??

Interesting question.

YellowStone

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 09:15:36 PM »

Hi Everyone :)

I have spent a few minutes Googling John 21:11 trying to find the significance behind the 153 caught fish. I found so many answers that I soon realized that not one of them had any clear understanding. :)

Perhaps the most common belief is that Jerome wrote that there were 153 distinct breeds of fish believed at the time and that number represented that being "fishes" of men, the apostles would preach to all races of people.

Another idea is the the number 153 is very significant in Pythagoras's theorem and that even Plato supported it. I have included the link for any so mathematical minded :)  It is very interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch_of_153_fish

Of course there were mathematical calculations dividing the number, adding and subtracting, ect to have it mean anything they wanted. Oh and that by stating an exact number, was proof that John was there and witnessed it. :)

My NIV study Bible doesn't even mention `153 ' in the notes.  ::)
So unless Ray has written anything to the contrary, I think Gena's explanation sounds about right :)

Great question though,

Darren

Kent

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 10:16:23 PM »

5 Then Jesus saith unto them, Children, have ye any meat? They answered him, No.
6 And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes.
7 Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord. Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher's coat unto him, (for he was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea.
8 And the other disciples came in a little ship; (for they were not far from land, but as it were two hundred cubits,) dragging the net with fishes.
9 As soon then as they were come to land, they saw a fire of coals there, and fish laid thereon, and bread.
10 Jesus saith unto them, Bring of the fish which ye have now caught.
11 Simon Peter went up, and drew the net to land full of great fishes, an hundred and fifty and three: and for all there were so many, yet was not the net broken.
12 Jesus saith unto them, Come and dine. And none of the disciples durst ask him, Who art thou? knowing that it was the Lord.

Maybe look at it in context?
It sounds to me like they are just documenting a huge number of fish caught in 1 net, because Christ told them where to cast it.

skydreamers

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 11:55:13 PM »

Hi Alex,

This is merely a thought that came to me:

1 = God
5 = Grace
3 = Completed Process

Joh 21:6
(6)  He said to them, "Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some." So they cast it, and now they were not able to haul it in, because of the quantity of fish.

Joh 21:11
(11)  So Simon Peter went aboard and hauled the net ashore, full of large fish, 153 of them. And although there were so many, the net was not torn.

(all men shall be saved...)

God's work of grace will be completed towards all men....there is room enough for everyone!

I have read some studies on what these numbers possibly mean individually so when I read this post this is what I saw.  I could be completely off of course, but just going with my gut and posting it anyway in case anyone has seen the same thing....

Peace,
Diana

Kent

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 01:07:20 AM »

I believe I see what you're saying. It's another spiritual principle behind this physical action.
I need to remember to look for principles like this.
The way you use numbers is new to me, but the full unbroken net makes sense as an unspoken (for lack of a better term) parable.

DWIGHT

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 01:46:07 AM »

Hi Diana,

You are absolutely right on.  The fish are men, the right side is where God's power and strength reside. The left side is where the goats who are rejected in this age, still swim in the blindness of Babylon.

And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:  And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Matt. 25:32-33

I think you're right on the numbers too.

One....One God...one Son....one body...unity

Five....God's chastening grace.  See the numbers of the temple all divisible into five's.

Three..the process of spiritual maturity and perfection in Christ.

And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third day I shall be perfected. Luke 13:32

Kent, all of God's words are spirit.  We must ask the Lord to reveal to us the spirit of the word, because the letter killeth but the spirit giveth life.  There is spirit behind every letter, name, number, story and parable in the scriptures.  I hope this helps a little brother, but don't be discouraged because you don't see it right away...if you ask,it will be give you, if you seek, you will find, and if you knock, it shall be opened unto you.  These are promises made by the Lord Himself.  ;)

In Him,

Dwight

Redbird

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 02:12:42 AM »

Alex,

I think everyone did a great job explaining this. :)  Now when the net was cast on the right side of the boat, this time the net was not torn.  Jesus says in John 10: 27-29

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:  And I give them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

The symbology of the large fish is awesome!  This was a wonderful question Alex, and it got me to think and study. Thanks.

Lisa

Deborah-Leigh

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 12:17:03 PM »

Every one here has done a wonderful job of sharing what they see. Together we get the bigger picture!

Matt 18 : 20 For wherever (Cyb-er Space :D) two  or three are gathered (drawn together as MY FOLLOWERS) in My Name, there I AM in the midst of THEM.

What came to my mind was another two things.

Firstly, Jesus HAD the fish on the fire ALREADY COOKING. HE has no need of us to fish. HE is THE FISHERMAN who can get fish without fishing! We do not choose Him, HE chooses us! Sovereignty of God!

The other thing is this, we have the tools to understanding the scriptures available on this site and we know that the Scriptures are not Literal and they are not to be understood unto their own interpretation but are to have a second witness to unlock their deeper mysteries kept for the eyes of mere children and not revealed to the high haughty minded leaders in Mystery Babyloln!  ;D

We come to the truth as babes and we grow in the stature of humility as we are fed on HIS Awesome ways truths and life!

Peace to you

Arcturus :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 12:18:55 PM by Arcturus »

skydreamers

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 01:19:47 PM »

Firstly, Jesus HAD the fish on the fire ALREADY COOKING. HE has no need of us to fish. HE is THE FISHERMAN who can get fish without fishing! We do not choose Him, HE chooses us! Sovereignty of God!

Cool Arcturus, thank you for pointing that out!!  There is so much in this story and it has been a great study.  I have learned something awesome everytime I come back to this thread.

Thank you Alex for starting this thread!

Mat 4:19
19  And he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."

Joh 21:8
The other disciples came in the boat, dragging the net full of fish, for they were not far from the land, but about a hundred yards off.

There's that word DRAGGING again: just as Christ DRAGS us to Him, the Elect will be co-workers with Christ DRAGGING the rest of the world to God's arms....

Joh 21:14
14  This was now the third time that Jesus was revealed to the disciples after he was raised from the dead.

There's that number 3 again: 

Three..the process of spiritual maturity and perfection in Christ

Peace and love to you,
Diana

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 04:05:54 AM »

Hi Alex,

This is merely a thought that came to me:

1 = God
5 = Grace
3 = Completed Process

Joh 21:6
(6)  He said to them, "Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some." So they cast it, and now they were not able to haul it in, because of the quantity of fish.

(11)  So Simon Peter went aboard and hauled the net ashore, full of large fish, 153 of them. And although there were so many, the net was not torn.

(all men shall be saved...)

God's work of grace will be completed towards all men....there is room enough for everyone!

I have read some studies on what these numbers possibly mean individually so when I read this post this is what I saw.  I could be completely off of course, but just going with my gut and posting it anyway in case anyone has seen the same thing....

Peace,
Diana

Wow, what a beautiful post, thank you Lord, you gave me the answer i needed through Diana :)

God bless

Love,

Alex

lilitalienboi16

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 04:23:35 AM »

I wanted to thank you all for your answers, they were all wonderful, thank you so much. The Lord has truly blessed this small fellowship!

I was simply blown away when i saw diana's responce, i knew there was something hideing there with the numbers, but i couldn't quiet put it togehter, so when she did, it was blown back like a brick hittin you right in the head, thats why i hastely responded to thank her! But you have all given wonderful and dead on answers, thank you all =]

Love and peace in Christ,

Alex

aktikt

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 11:44:00 PM »

When I was reading through this thread the word 'large' in John 21:11 struck me.  Ray always says pay attention to the words.  In greek according to e-sword, the word is megas.  This is the same word origin as in megabyte.  Anyway, it means large or great. 

According to e-sword it is the same word used for great in the following verse:

Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

I'm not quite sure what to glean out of these verses, but I think the word large is very important here.  It's not just fish it's large - great sized fish.  Perhaps these are the elect.     

« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 11:46:09 PM by aktikt »
Shakespeare-There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.