bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SHOULD WE PRAY FOR PATIENCE?  (Read 9492 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
SHOULD WE PRAY FOR PATIENCE?
« on: December 20, 2007, 10:01:55 AM »

I just found your website! And can’t wait to get home to go through it all! I praise God for what occurred this morning – because it lead me in search and I found your website. May God continue to give you wisdom and to others through it.

When I became a Christian one of the 1st things I was taught was not to pray for “patience”. Probably because that’s the first thing we ask – when we want more of the spirit and less of the flesh. So I’ve gone around for 6 yrs believing we should not – I don’t think I ever placed a high importance on trying to find it in scripture, because somehow my spirit is led to pray for God’s love onto others, His strength and mostly God’s His Will not mine. But recently (at a women’s bible study) someone asked God for Patience with their children, all the other women told her “we can not pray for patience” and I agreed as well. I received a hurtful call – accusing me of telling someone something that is not true. As God knows my heart…I would never mis-quote the word of God intentionally. I explained to the person that this is something I was taught by my first past or (a man seeking after God’s heart) and that I believed it to be true. I said I would do my very best to find scripture on it.

Please! Can you help? Can you give me clarity on this? Thanks.  Blessings Rosie

Dear Rosie:  You are to be commended for seeking Scriptural backing for the things that you believe.  I cannot even begin to imagine why Christians would teach others that they should not pray for patience.  The foolish superstitions of many Christians are bewildering. OF COURSE you should and need to pray for patience:

Col 1:8 Who also declared unto us your love in the Spirit.

Col 1:9 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, DO NOT CEASE TO PRAY FOR YOU, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;

Col 1:10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

Col 1:11 Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all PATIENCE AND LONG SUFFERING [long suffering is just another form of patience] with joyfulness;

Col 1:12 Giving thanks unto the Father [that's PRAYING], which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:

And so we have Scriptural authority that two things that we are to "Give thanks unto the Father [in prayer]," and "pray without ceasing," is for "PATIENCE AND LONG SUFFERING."

God be with you, Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.