bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sin verses Sins  (Read 8350 times)

Douglas Wayne Thomas

Sin verses Sins
« on: October 02, 2008, 05:37:29 AM »

I have a question. Is there a distinction between Sin and Sins? I know this might sound like a matter of semantics; however I think there is a difference. For example; in the Bible, we find sin, in the singular, and sins, in plural; they are not exactly the same.

Sin, in its singular form, is a condition causing separation from God that affects all mankind, through Adam, as our father and representative of all humanity, because he didn't obey God's one commandment.

Through one man (Adam) sin entered the world. But sins, in the plural form, to me, are the individual transgressions of God's laws. Sins are personal, and they affect each individual in particular. At judgment do we not have to answer for our sins individually?

We do not have to answer for original sin because everybody is affected equally by Adam's original sin. However we each have our own unique sins that we have committed and must confess to Jesus. Am I looking at this all wrong? It would not be the first time that I have suffered from pretzel logic.

Any replies would greatly be appreciated, thank you in advance.

Seeking to do God's will always,

Doug

Martinez

Re: Sin verses Sins
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 06:15:48 AM »

Sin is what we are (the flesh)

Sins is transgressions (the naughty things we do)

Hope that helps!

Richard D

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 09:45:25 AM »

Hi Doug.

As far as I can tell God does not hold Adams sin against us only our own. I’m not sure about giving and account for each thing we do or say, that maybe symbolic talk. But you’ll need to hear from another on that part.

Our will is not free outside of God’s will. God causes all things but we are accountable for our sins. So we will physically die. Then we are in the First resurrection or we learn righteousness through the second resurrection.

God is good, don’t worry. Either way, all will be saved! 

In His Love.Richard

Samson

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 09:59:56 AM »

Good Morning Doug,

I don't know exactly where your coming from, but I'll give it a try. Ray discusses this distinction between a Sin and Sins(plural), but I couldn't find it, maybe another member can share that, but here are the Scriptures.

1John. 2:1(Please read, " committing a Sin"), add to that 1John. 1:8-10( " making the statement, we have no Sin, we are misleading ourselves), please read passage, I just paraphrased some points.

Now, please read 1John. 3:4-10; This passage demonstrates a practice of Sin or being consumed by Sin. Sinning is a way of Life, no remorse. As an example, someone who continually cheats on his Wife without any remorse and it becomes a practice and the sinner doesn't care or sincerely ask forgiveness, it's a pattern.

See the distinction or difference, one is consumed by the pattern of sinning, maybe Adultery as an example in contrast with the person that did it once and is truly sorry and seeks forgiveness and has demonstrated true remorse for their actions.

Hope this helps, I know Ray refers to committing A SIN comparing that with BEING CONSUMED BY SIN.

In Gods Love, Samson.

Richard D

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 10:20:03 AM »

Samson

After reading you’re post I was thinking if someone is consumed by sin so as to not feel remorse or even think they were sinning would that person be aware of God in the first place?

So God would more than likely not be dealing with that person at this time. Just some thoughts on that. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:22:14 AM by Richard D »

Samson

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 10:45:53 AM »

Samson

After reading you’re post I was thinking if someone is consumed by sin so as to not feel remorse or even think they were sinning would that person be aware of God in the first place?

So God would more than likely not be dealing wit that person at this time. Just some thoughts on that. 

Good Point Richard,

I see where your coming from, but I know of and have known people that claim to know God, know the Scriptures, certainly profess Jesus Christ, but perhaps are hardened by the deceptive power of Sin.

We all Sin, because all of us " miss the mark " (GK-Hamartia), by our thoughts, words and actions. My point was to emphasize the distinction between being consumed by Sin versus committing an individual Sin, of course, all of us are guilty of this.

I remember Ray mentioning something to the affect, that years ago he tried so hard to stop sinning, on his own, stating he didn't want to Sin, but eventually realizing that only God could remove this desire. Of course the fact is, he expressed he wanted to stop and later when God did the work, he stopped sinning as a way of life, but he also said we still commit individual sins, it could be merely a bad thought that pops in your head or a slip of the tongue, but it's still different than being consumed by Sin as a patterned way of life.

I think this information might be located in the Free Will series, not the one from the front, but the one at our transcripts/Audio sections or the one on Repentance, I'm going to check now.

In God's Love, Samson.

Richard D

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 11:10:37 AM »

Thank you Samson for further elaborating on that and also for the link too. I’ll check that out as well.

Now you have me thinking again here, you had mention about how sin can hardened one heart by the deceptive power of Sin.

If we sin, we should always ask Christ to forgive us for our sin or sins. This is the right thing to do. So if one stops asking for forgiveness and just assumes Christ paid the price for our sins could this be where the hardening of the heart starts?

In His Love. Richard.

Douglas Wayne Thomas

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 11:37:07 AM »

In order to sin, one must be in disregard of, or in disobedience to, a law that God has put in force. John says, "sin is lawlessness" and he uses these words in the sense of a transgression of God's law (1Jn 3:4). Take, for example, the first sin committed by mankind. If God had not made an exception about trees for food, and said of one tree, "You shall not eat", then Adam and Eve would not have sinned by eating from that tree (Gen 2:16-17, 3:2-3,11).

So we see a plain principle at work here...

You cannot violate or break a law that is not in force.

Sin was imputed to Adam because there was a law in force to prohibit what he did, and that made it a sin.

Samson; you got me thinking, sin and sinning are not static. Or maybe I should say Sin is static, i.e.… original sin, whereas sinning is dynamic, ongoing, one keeps sinning over and over again. I have to keep thinking about this one for awhile.

Richard D

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 11:53:01 AM »

Hi Doug.

From what I learned on Ray’s papers Mother Eve sinned before she had eaten of the tree of good and evil.

Lust of the eye. Lust of the flesh and the pride of life was taking place in her heart.
So we always sin from one of these areas in life.

In His Love. Richard

mharrell08

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 12:17:19 PM »

Hi Doug.

From what I learned on Ray’s papers Mother Eve sinned before she had eaten of the tree of good and evil.

Lust of the eye. Lust of the flesh and the pride of life was taking place in her heart.
So we always sin from one of these areas in life.

In His Love. Richard

That's right Richard...great point.  ;)

Marques

Samson

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 12:34:50 PM »

Hello Doug & Richard,

Here is what I had in mind from Ray regarding Sinning, copy & paste, lets see if I did this right.

Sinning

Now, I must preview this.

In Gods Love, Samson.

Samson

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 12:40:58 PM »

Hey Guys,

I messed up, go to Rays Emails, the Catagory part and type in the word sinning. It will be the first Email on the search.

That's what I was thinking about earlier, you have to go to the Email to Ray part at the top.

Boy, will I ever learn how to manuever things around with these computers, at least before I die, only time will tell.

Sorry, I'm a computer dummy, Samson.

Richard D

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 12:50:37 PM »

Brother Samson.

I have awesome computer skills, I know how to turn it on make a few comments and then shut it off.

Was I supposed to know more? LOL
                                            Have a wonderful Day. Richard

David

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 01:35:41 PM »

Ray did a talk on sin, a rebuttal to a false doctrine taught by another ministry. In that talk he asnwered a lot of these questions. Both parts are in the download audios.

Samson

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 02:17:31 PM »

Doug & Richard,

Here is the Email, I was referring to, I went back to it and printede it out, it's short but drives home the point I was attempting to make in my first post.

Aug. 5, 2008, 07:50 PM

Dear Chuck: I am going to have to do a bit of interpretation on this one, as the words themselves are not precise enough. " Willfully" in the king james, means Voluntarily. It is like freewill offering in the Old Testament which meant nothing more than an offering given "voluntarily"--it was not demanded.

WHEN ONE SINS WILLFULLY OR VOLUNTARILY, IT MEANS THAT HE HAS LOST HIS CONSCIENCE ABOUT THOSE PARTICULAR SINS. HE FEELS NO GUILT NOR SHAME FOR COMMITTTING THEM. WE ALL SIN, BUT SIN IN NOT TO " REIGN" OVER US, AS PAUL ADMONISHES. WHEN WE SIN, WE SHOULD RECOGNIZE IT AS SIN, AND FEEL SHAME, AND REPENT, AND GO ON. ONCE WE FEEL NO GUILT NOR SHAME, THERE REMAINS "JUDGEMENT" WHICH WILL ASSUREDLY REMOVE(THROUGH FIERY TRIALS AND PURGING) THESE ADVERSARIES THAT PLAGUE THE HUMAN RACE. HOPE THAT HELPS. (capitols mine)

GOD BE WITH YOU, RAY

The second paragraph of Rays answer to Chuck was my emphasis, We all Sin, but sin is not to reign over us. This is probably why I don't spend too much time in General Discussions, because of my inability to transfer Rays Info from one location to another; ;)

In Gods Love to all, Samson.

Richard D

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 02:45:02 PM »

Samson

Now this is getting really interesting. So if a person spends, say thirty years in a particular sin, then that one’s conscience would be dead to that sin. So in other words that sin would be as natural as breathing to that person.

Now God calls them, would God not quicken that one’s conscience? Or if one’s conscience is dead would God not call that one at this time?

Samson, don’t you just love us newbie’s, all questions but no answers. LOL

In His Love. You’re friend and brother. Richard.

OBrenda

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 04:09:59 PM »

Just wanted to peep in that I'm enjoying this also...
Thanks Samson & David for the pointers to Ray's stuff
I can't figure out how to do it either!

I know what I'm studying tonight!

AK4

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 07:50:02 PM »

Samson and all,

the easiest way to copy and paste something you want when you are in the middle of typing a post is to:

1. keep the website open that you are typing on. 

2.Minimize (click on the little dash looking thing up there in he top right corner next to the "X" and the two squares) the window you have open.

3. Open up a new internet window. (I have to click on that blue "e")

4. Go to the place you wanted to copy and paste.

5. Highlight (click and hold down left mouse button right next to the first letter of the first word you want  to copy and while still holding down the button go over whatever you to copy and then let go of the mouse button) and then right click anywhere on the stuff you highlighted and left click copy.

6. Reopen up the window where you were typing in the post.

7. Right click where you want to paste what you copied and left click on paste.

And badabing there you have it

To paste a link just follow those same steps except just highlight the website address (for example: http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php?action=post;topic=8303.15;num_replies=17)

Hope this helps.

Anthony

ps if this posts sounds like i am demeaning anyone that is not my intent...Just trying to make it as easy as possible.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 07:51:39 PM by AK4 »

WhoAmI

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 08:06:14 PM »

Original sin? Sounds like another church doctrine to me.

OBrenda

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 11:53:43 PM »

Anthony,

Thanks for the help......I need it!
 ;)
Brenda
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.