bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need Account Help?  Email bibletruths.forum@gmail.com   

Forgotten password reminders does not work. Contact the email above and state what you want your password changed to. (it must be at least 8 characters)

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Angels and Saints what is the difference  (Read 11305 times)

Sandyk

Angels and Saints what is the difference
« on: April 23, 2009, 11:29:10 AM »

Hey everyone,

I am curious if Ray explains the difference between angels and saints? ???

mharrell08

Re: Angels and Saints what is the difference
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 11:35:02 AM »

Hey everyone,

Hello Sandy,

Here is a link to a categorized list of Ray's email replies: http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3108.0.html

There is a category labeled 'Angels/Demons/Messengers' almost half-way down...let us know if that helps.

Marques

EKnight

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 12:14:32 PM »

Hi Sandy,

I asked this same questions in two parts a while ago.  Here is the link to that discussion.

http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,8570.0.html

Eileen

meee

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 12:19:51 PM »

Hi Sandy,
           Marques has helped already, but here is what the words suggest in Strongs Concordance and also from Gill's commentary.
             Php 4:21  SaluteG782 everyG3956 saintG40 inG1722 ChristG5547 Jesus.G2424 TheG3588 brethrenG80 which are withG4862 meG1698 greetG782 you.G5209

Humans are refered to as a saint, when we repent and turn to God.

G40
ἅγιος
hagios
hag'-ee-os
From ἅγος hagos (an awful thing) compare G53, [H2282]; sacred (physically pure, morally blameless or religious, ceremonially consecrated): - (most) holy (one, thing), saint.

Gill Commentary:

Php 4:21  Salute every saint in Christ Jesus,.... Meaning at Philippi, whether rich or poor, lesser or greater believers, common saints, as well as the officers of the church, bishops and deacons; who were in Christ by electing grace, and as their covenant head, and representative from everlasting, and which was manifested and made known by their conversion and the effectual calling:

Angels are heavenly messengers.

Act 5:19  ButG1161 the angelG32 of the LordG2962 byG1223 nightG3571 openedG455 theG3588 prisonG5438 doors,G2374 andG5037 brought them forth,G1806 G846 and said,G2036

angelG32
ἄγγελος
aggelos
ang'-el-os
From ἀγγέλλω aggellō (probably derived from G71; compare G34; to bring tidings); a messenger; especially an “angel”; by implication a pastor: - angel, messenger.

Gill commentary:
Act 5:19  But the angel of the Lord,.... Or "of God", as the Arabic and Ethiopic versions read, whether Michael, as some have thought, or Gabriel, or what particular angel, is not material to know. However, it was a good angel, an elect angel, one of those ministering spirits sent by God to minister to the heirs of promise; one of those angels that excel in strength, as appears by what he did: for he

luv & hugs,meee

Sandyk

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 05:02:20 PM »

Hey everybody,

I'm going back and forth on what this means.   ???

I Corinthians 13;1

Though I speak with the
tongues of men and of
angels, and have not charity, I
am become as sounding brass,
or a tinkling cymbal.

Amrhrasach

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 05:26:34 PM »

Hey everyone,

Hello Sandy,

Here is a link to a categorized list of Ray's email replies: http://forums.bible-truths.com/index.php/topic,3108.0.html

There is a category labeled 'Angels/Demons/Messengers' almost half-way down...let us know if that helps.

Marques

Thank you, as well, Marques for that link.

Gary

daywalker

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 06:11:57 PM »

Hey everybody,

I Corinthians 13;1

Though I speak with the
tongues of men and of
or a tinkling cymbal.

Hello Sandy,

Paul is talking about different "Spiritual Gifts" and how to properly use them [such as: healing, prophecy, teaching, speaking in tongues, etc]. When discussing "tongue-speaking", he says that, unless there is someone who has the gift of "interpretation", that is to interpret a tongue-speaker, than whatever that person says is just [as Ray says...] "gobblely-gook".

Here's is a passage from the very next chapter which should help clear this up for ya:

I Corinthians 14:8-9 For if a trumpet, also, should be giving a dubious sound, who will be preparing for battle? Thus, you also, if you should not be giving an intelligible expression through the language, how will it be known what is being spoken? For you will be speaking into the air.

Hope this helps,

- Daywalker.

Sandyk

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 06:43:08 PM »

Hey everyone

RE:I Corinthians 13;1

Thanks for all the replies, I think I understand better though I know I have a long way to go.  I am looking forward to learning the truth. 

As far as the difference between Angels and Saints not there yet.  Hope to finish reading the links Marques sent me earlier today.

Again, thanks everyone I really appreciate all your help and insight.

EKnight

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 07:12:47 PM »

Hey everybody,

I Corinthians 13;1

Though I speak with the
tongues of men and of
or a tinkling cymbal.

I thought this was talking more in the lines of what James said:

14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food,
16 and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and filled," without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that?
17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say, "You have faith and I have works." Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.
19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe--and shudder!
20 Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless?

Hmmmm :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Eileen

judith collier

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 03:51:24 AM »

Ditto Mark!!!  Judy

meee

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 11:09:22 AM »

Hey everybody,

I Corinthians 13;1

Though I speak with the
tongues of men and of
or a tinkling cymbal.

I thought this was talking more in the lines of what James said:

14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food,
16 and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and filled," without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that?
17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say, "You have faith and I have works." Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.
19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe--and shudder!
20 Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless?

Hmmmm :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Eileen

Eileen,
    I think as Paul was speaking about love and spiritual gifts,as other's have mentiioned in this thread.
    I think James was more on the line on actual real faith. Our good works can nerver earn salvation, but true faith always results in a changed life and good works. James speaks against those that confuse intellectual assent with true faith.
     Even demons know who Jesus is,but they don't obey him. True faith obeys!
     Any help?
     Hugs and luv,meee

EKnight

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »

Mee,

I didn't mean that they were talking about the same thing but rather saying having faith or love is useless unless it is exercised.  I just thought the "idea" or "premise" was the same.  ??? ???

Eileen

meee

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 11:59:17 AM »

Mee,

I didn't mean that they were talking about the same thing but rather saying having faith or love is useless unless it is exercised.  I just thought the "idea" or "premise" was the same.  ??? ???

Eileen

Oh sorry Eileen, I get what ya.
              Yes, I think Paul and James agree.
                     luv & hugs,meee
PS: your picture is missing, did you do something?

Dave in Tenn

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
    • FaceBook David Sanderson
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 01:42:32 PM »

Sandy, maybe this will help.

It's part of a sort-of "popular religion" that when people die (good people, at least) they become angels.  It's a pretty common belief and is expressed over and over in movies, books, tv shows, etc. 

I'm not sure if any 'legitimate' theology teaches this...maybe yes, maybe no.  But it is very definately in the culture.  I.E.  Angels are deceased humans, saints are extra-special 'people' who got promoted, etc. etc.

In truth, Angels are created beings and not humans--they never were, they will never be.  They are servants of God and spiritual beings.

Saints ARE human beings and some are alive today, though many sleep. 

That's the short version...there's more to know, but maybe this is where you've been hungup.     
Heb 10:32  But you must continue to remember those earlier days, how after you were enlightened you endured a hard and painful struggle.

daywalker

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »

Hey everyone

RE:I Corinthians 13;1

Thanks for all the replies, I think I understand better though I know I have a long way to go.  I am looking forward to learning the truth. 

As far as the difference between Angels and Saints not there yet.  Hope to finish reading the links Marques sent me earlier today.

Again, thanks everyone I really appreciate all your help and insight.

- Saints are the followers of God. The "chosen few", the "elect", the "church" or "ecclesia". They're humans.
- Angels [lit. "messengers"] are created Heavenly Beings.

- Angels can never become humans. Humans can never become Angels.

**There are a few instances in the Bible, in which, Angels "appear" in human form, but they are not human, though they do apparently have the ability to "manifest" themselves in human form.

Daywalker.  8)

meee

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 05:01:04 PM »

Sandy, maybe this will help.

It's part of a sort-of "popular religion" that when people die (good people, at least) they become angels.  It's a pretty common belief and is expressed over and over in movies, books, tv shows, etc. 

I'm not sure if any 'legitimate' theology teaches this...maybe yes, maybe no.  But it is very definately in the culture.  I.E.  Angels are deceased humans, saints are extra-special 'people' who got promoted, etc. etc.

Yea, one { sect of people } in paticular teaches that a person becomes a saint, when they've been proven to have performed a miracle healing. Like they were actually the one that "healed". 
        Dave you and Daywalker said it very consise and simply.  Beautifully done guys!
       hugs,meee

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.