bible-truths.com/forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Forum related how to's?  Post your questions to the membership.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Doesn't aidios mean "eternal?"  (Read 7533 times)

Craig

• Bible-Truths Forum Member
  • There are two kinds of cops.The quick and the dead
Doesn't aidios mean "eternal?"
« on: December 12, 2009, 03:12:56 PM »

Ray, I thought that there was no Heb. or Greek word in scripture meaning eternal. I do not believe that anybody whether human or spirit is tormented for ever. So how does one explain Jude 6 "everlasting chains"? And of course the only other time this word #126 is used is Rom. 1:20. In a few weeks I'm going to be teaching "salvation for all" and so will need to understand this word correctly. I've copied your section giving the definitions for aion and aionios. Perhaps you have addressed it and I missed it. Thanks as always. Mel

Dear Mel:
Actually I have answered this numerous times.  The Greek word translated "eternal" in Rom. 1:20 and  "everlasting" in Jude 6,  is aidios, and is very similar
to the word "hades" translated "hell" in many English Bibles.  Hades is a compount of ha and des.  Ha means not or no--it is a negative.  And des means to see or perceive.
When put together it means "unseen" or "imperceptible."  Same is true of the word aidios.  It is a compount of "a or ha" and "idios."  Once again, "a or ha" is a negative meaning no or not, and idios likewise means to see or perceive.  When put together the word means to  not be able to see or imperceptible.  This is further verified by its usage in Rom.
1:20.  Notice that verse 20 starts off with, "for the INISIBLE things of Him [that would be things that are NOT made, NOT visible] from the creation of the world are clearly SEEN, being understood by the THINGS THAT ARE MADE [that would be things that ARE visible], even His IMPERCEPTIBLE power, and Divinity; so that they are without excuse."
There is little sense in telling us that God is eternal. If He weren't eternal, He wouldn't be God.  No, Paul is telling us that we can understand some of God's great power even though it is invisible by itself.  And we can do this by looking at the things God made, that ARE VISIBLE.  The visible universe points to God's INvisible (imperceptible) POWER and DIVINITY.  Hope this helps your understanding.  There is no word in Scripture which means by definition: "eternal," or "endless time."
God be with you,
Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.